Everthing Happens for a Reason

Kelli - Red Bud, Illinois

What if I had never been born? Maybe I was born to save a life, my mom’s. Not to say she would not have survived without me, but I like to think that her having me kept her from leading a worse path in life. What if I hadn’t met my boyfriend Ryan? When I met him I was in a vulnerable state and on the verge of collapsing because of the difficulties I had been facing. Maybe we met so he could pick me up and keep me going when things got rough. There are many reasons to why something might happen, but I like to bring out the best in every situation. This I believe- everything happens for a reason because believing there is reason behind life’s disappointments makes it easier to cope with them.

When my dad was diagnosed with cancer last year I couldn’t believe or understand why this was happening to my family again. Around January of last year my uncle was also diagnosed with a very aggressive head and neck cancer. After intense fighting, he passed away in November. It just didn’t seem possible that there could be a God. I didn’t understand why God would put one entire family through so much pain. I had been through so much hurt lately, and it didn’t seem like it was ever going to stop.

I decided to take a step back and look at my life. Even though, I had just lost an uncle, and my dad is still battling cancer, I realized that I still had some good in my life. Throughout this whole experience my family has come together as a whole and become closer than ever. I talk to them more often and treat everyday as it’s my last. There is never a time when I leave that I don’t say I love you. I have learned that life is too short to be mad all the time, so I try and accept things as they come my way. I try to remember to bring out the best in things. So, maybe the reason my dad got cancer wasn’t to tear my family apart, but to bring us closer together. I now realize that when things get tough we always have each other. Things that do not kill me only make me stronger and I am defiantly a stronger person for the things I have endured through life.

I believe, because I need to believe, that everything happens for a reason. Even if I have to dig a little deeper to find the true meaning, it helps me understand why awful things happen to us in life.