More Than a Game

Justin - Red Bud, Illinois
Themes: sports

I started playing football my freshman year. At first I played because I had a slight interest in the game. As the years went on I became more attached to football, both physically and emotionally. I developed skills to use on and off the field, such as leadership, character, teamwork, and self-discipline. I have learned so much from my coaches and teammates. They have inspired me, encouraged me, and motivated me throughout my life.

My senior year playing football is a year I won’t ever forget. I had many responsibilities as a football player. Being a captain on the football team meant higher expectations and way more responsibilities. The coaches expected one-hundred percent out of their captains or else we would be a bad influence on the team. If a teammate saw a captain slacking off at practice, they would assume it is okay to slack off as well. So it was always important to me that me that I tried as hard as I could and never give up, no matter how bad it got.

Although it seems to most people that football is just a game, it is much more. I learned so much in the last four years of playing football than I ever have in my entire life. From the first time I put that Musketeer jersey on, to the time I cried in the locker room after my last high school football game. I believe football is much more than just a game.