Crossing the impossibility Zone

Abdullah - Cedar Falls, Iowa

Crossing the Impossibility Zone

I believe that there is no such a thing as “impossible”. As I walk to the library every afternoon after lunch, I look at my reflection on the glass door and think what would happen to me in the future. I thought of it many times and tried to understand if I am really building my future or if I am just building a pyramid of sand.

After finishing the English as a Second language program at my college, I began my full academic semester with an enthusiastic attitude. In my first class, the professor gave us a reading homework consisting of 40 pages that contained words I have never seen before. I tried to read and study, but I failed to absorb the information needed. I tried it again, but I still had difficulty understanding the material.

I gave up and thought it was impossible to accomplish such a complicated thing. I stopped and thought for a moment for why the thoughts of failure were running in my mind so mysteriously. I compared my self to all of the other people who where nothing and became everything. I thought of those who did the impossible. Strangely, they all had one thing in common; they have put an extra fraction of effort that was truly worth it. I realized that race, religion, culture, and even the mind have no impact on the success of a person. It is in fact their extra effort they had put when they where younger.

Pursuing the same path, I too have put an extra effort and focused my thoughts completely on my studies. I finally finished the homework assignment after spending 7 hours reading it understanding every piece of it. I knew then that impossibility is nothing more than rumored myth created by the lazy side of my brain.