Be Persistent

Jiayi - Brookline, Massachusetts

Work has to be done for today, but something has happened. The business meeting should be today, but the manager says the boss isn’t there. The flight is going to be next morning. But the stuff has to be packed up for tonight. My mother gets a little bit angry, but she knows what she has to do. She calls the boss and says: “Whatever you have important to do today, we have to complete this business.” She explains why she wants to do it quickly to the boss. So the boss agrees with her and all the work is done by phone calls. “Then we have to deal with other things,” my mom tells me.

Everybody in my mother’s life thinks that my mother is too persistent. I think so too, but unlike them, I think it’s a good thing. When we think about it, was my mother really being too persistent? Not really. I believe in my mother’s choices. I know that they are right. Because being persistent means you want to have things done according to schedule. Everybody wants things done by schedule. But we cannot avoid accidents. So what are we going to do when there is trouble? How can we deal with it quickly? I’m not only speaking of the problems in our daily life, but the problems we face throughout our whole life that we have to live through. For our whole life, we are doing things that must be done. Sometimes we do it late, sometimes we just finish it quickly. What about if you are hesitant or you are afraid of something that would cause you to give up? The only thing I can do is to do it with persistence. This quality helps your life, and things get done faster.

I believe that being persistent to do everything, will make your life be better as you want. My mother is a strong example in my life. When she applied for my visa, the immigration office told her to wait 1 year. But my mother didn’t want to waste my time with me waiting in China. So she fought for it. She didn’t give up even though the immigration office at first said they wouldn’t expedite my application. But Finally, the immigration office gave my mother only a half year to wait. My mother does things really persistently. When she wants something, she will do whatever she can do to get things done. It saves her lots of time and allows her to do other things, so that she can have better life.

Before she had told me that I was a waiting-girl, it means if I want something, I will only wait for the chance. I lost many opportunities to do everything I wanted. I regretted. So I listened to my mother. Last time of my performance I was a guest to be in a competition. But the chance it’s actually I applied hardly for it. Because there was a big exam in our last semester for graduation, and teachers didn’t allow any students from 9th grades to join in any activities. That was my last few months in China, so I really wanted this last chance to perform in school. I wanted to have one more chance to perform in school, but I only had this limited time to make it. I had a hard conversation with the head-master. I talked to him very truthfulness. Finally, the head-master allowed me in the competition as a guest. Until now, I still think it worth a lot, and it gave me the best memory that I will never regret it.

So work was done by today. My mom tells me when she is leaving: “Be persistent in everything you need or that you want persistently to be done. Don’t waste your time waiting.” Do things persistently, even though there are lots of troubles waiting for you. Don’t waste your time hesitating, to accomplish your goals without doubts. And I am taking her advice to be a persistent person.