The Best Things in Life are Worth Waiting For

Tyler - Mabelvale, Arkansas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

When I was 8 years old, my mom took me on a trip to Dallas, Texas. We shopped, talked, and we were so excited about seeing everything that we skipped lunch. So by the time we were going to eat dinner, I was starved. We saw this amazing restaurant and decided to eat there. As we went in, we noticed a waiter carrying a tray of desserts. They were covered in chocolate and they looked like something you would see in the finest kitchen in Paris.

My mom approached the hostess, requested a table for two, and asked how long we would have to wait. “About 45 minutes,” she replied. “45 minutes!” I exclaimed, “I have to eat now, I’m so hungry!” “We can always go somewhere else,” my mom said. “Well I am hungry. Ok, sounds good,” I said. We ended up going to another restaurant that we could’ve eaten at in Little Rock. I was extremely disappointed because the food there wasn’t that great.

That day, my mom taught me that the best things in life are worth waiting for. I’m 14 now and even in that short period of time, I have seen this been proven time and time again. With dance studios I have picked, piano teachers, and even schools. The first thing life hands you won’t always be the best. It reminds me of the game scrabble, you can draw 7 letters and not be able to use any of them, so you draw again. Then you have letters you can use and turn the odds in your favor.

I don’t think I will ever forget the look on my mother’s face when she turned to me, smiled, and said, “Tyler, the best things in life are worth waiting for.” And I believe her. I believe the best things in life are worth waiting for.