Bryce - Hinton, Oklahoma
Themes: forgiveness
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

What do I believe about forgiveness? My thoughts about spiritual forgiveness and human forgiveness are one and the same. True forgiveness is not something you can just ask for and get.

Receiving true forgiveness is much deeper than that. I do not believe you can be truly forgiven unless you apologize for your mistake and sincerely plan on never doing it again. I mean honestly, what is the point of even saying sory if you’re planning on doing it again as you speak the words? That is like saying “God please forgive me for cheating on my wife tomorrow.” People like that I just do not understand. How can you ask forgiveness for something with no intentions of stopping completely? I believe forgiveness that hollow is not even worth asking for.

There is a quote that pretty well sums up what hollow forgiveness is all about. Emo Philips said, “When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realized that the Lord doesn’t work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.” He is taking advantage of the Lord’s forgiveness by doing something he knows is wrong with the intentions of just asking for forgiveness later. One time when I was little I did the exact same thing with a piece of candy. I just took it with the intention of asking for forgiveness later. Was I forgiven? I doubt it.

In conclusion, I belive there are many forms of forgiveness, but only one true one. The only one that counts.