Life is what you make it

Brandon - Hinton, Oklahoma

I believe that life is what you make it. There have been many times that I have woken up to a beatutiful start of a good morning, but no matter what happens to you in your day, it is up to you on how you take it and what you make of it.

On many occasions I have had to make this decision. For one example, I woke up one morning and I was feeling so good! But then my grandma told me she needed to tell me something important. So I walked over and I asked what is was. She told me to sit down and she said ”Wes isn’t your real father.”

When I was about 1 ½ years old my grandmother adopted me. My real biological father left my mom before I was born. My mom re-married before I was born to a man by the name of Wesley. So I grew up thinking that he was my real dad, but I was wrong. When my grandmother told me that Wesley wasn’t my real dad, it devastated me. I was in disbelief.

I asked why she or anybody else didn’t tell me about this. She told me that she didn’t want me to get hurt. I told her later I really appreciated that, but I wanted to know where my real dad was. She told me that she really didn’t know, but last time she knew he was in Lousiana.

All in all I am okay with it now. I have told my grandmother that this summer I am going to get a vehicle and I am going to go find him. At first when I told her this, she was a little worried about my going and that if I found him he would hurt me more. But I told her he couldn’t hurt me more than he already has, I just want to see his face. What really surprised me was when she finally came around and offered to help me in my quest, and so did Wes, my step-dad.

So after all this I had to make over difficult decision. I could let this haunt me for the rest of my life and let it destroy me, or I could make the best of a bad situation and make my life the best that it could be, which is what I chose. So in conclusion, life is really what you make it.