I Believe God is Love

Jason - Roswell, New Mexico

I believe God is love.

During the latter end of my high school years I started believing in God and the Bible. During this time I came to an awareness of the reality of God and his holiness. As a result of that I began to hate sin. I became much more aware things that were not right, and the messed up natures of myself, my town, and the world in general. The more I fell in love with God, the more I hated sin, but there was one problem: I didn’t love people as much as I hated sin. I had an intense desire to please God and dwell in his holiness, but at the same time I did not have a very intense love for the people around me, or compassion for them, and the conflict ate me up inside. It took me a while to learn why I was so broken, but I started to come to an understanding later on when I came to college. I met some people that really understood the grace of God, and in my relationships I began to see myself and others opened up and healed through love, acceptance, and encouragement.

Before I started learning about God’s love and grace all I could see was the problem, not the solution. I knew when something wasn’t right, but I didn’t know how to make it better. People sin and have problems because they are wounded beneath the surface. At some point in their life some love they should have received was either distorted, perverted, or missing. Once I realized that God accepted me for who I was, and was going to bring me into his holiness because of his Grace, not because I deserved it, was when I started seeing others that way, and formed relationships that were real and healthy. I think the world would be a much better place if everyone knew that God is love.