I Believe In High School

Anna - Florissant, Missouri

I believe that the class of 2005 was right when they told my freshman class that the four years of high school would fly by. Looking back now, it is very easy to see. The only problem I have with looking back is that I wish I would have believed them then. I remember thinking to myself, “Yeah right, these are going to be the longest four years of my life!” And now here I am, with only a few days left in the halls of the high school I once thought would take eternity to get out of. My views of high school have since then changed slowly but surely. It all started with freshman year. Freshman year was a year full of changes and changes, for me, are scary. That is probably the reason why I had the initial “yeah right, these are going to be the longest four years of my life” thought. I was just scared. As time went on I became less afraid and transitioned into high school life quite well. That is not to say that there were not any bumps along the road, because there were a few of those, but I got through it. Next came sophomore year and my class and I were no longer the “underdogs”. We knew what we were doing, for the most part, and we no longer heard the infamous phrase, “Stupid freshmen!” Then came junior year, we made it and we were almost to the top. My class and I were over half way finished with high school and I think it was then that we started to realize how fast the time was truly flying by because even though we had been there for three years and we knew what we were doing, we still felt like we had just gotten there. Time was going by too fast. Now it is senior year. My class and I have been the “top dogs” for almost nine months now and there are only seven days left of high school. My class is split between those who do not want to leave and those who cannot wait to get out of this place. While that difference may be, there is one thing that my classmates all agree on and that is that these four years of high school flew by. I guess that is just something that you come to believe in hindsight when you have the ability to look back at the memories that you made and the times that you are going to miss.