Paul - Antioch, Illinois

The world is full of challenges and problems. People face these problems every day. I believe that with perseverance and determination, an individual can overcome his challenges. Will power and mental toughness are the key components in overcoming a challenge. Having a passion and the right mental objective will empower one to persevere through one’s complications. Perseverance and determination are the key components and mind-sets to overcoming challenges in the world.

When I was fourteen years old, I unexpectedly tore my anti-cruciate ligament (ACL). It was the biggest disappointment in my life, through my first fourteen years. My life was mainly comprised of sports, and only sports. I was devastated by the fact that I would be missing six whole months of sports due to recovery. Physical therapy was the only option for recovery. I knew going into physical therapy that it would be tough; I did not know how tough it was going to be. What fueled me to overcome my injury was the fact that I was not playing sports for six months. The pain and the fact that I was not physically capable to play sports gave me the edge to fight through the injury and to overcome the setback. I realized during my recovery period that I had to take command of my therapy. I knew that it was a horrible process and that I did not want to go through it again. Knowing this, I fought harder and harder to get healed the first time through. I persevered and battled through the horrible knee injury with determination and confidence. I showed how I could get through a problem in my life by using these skills to overcome it.

A person’s true character and personality is shown when faced with a conflict. My true character was shown during my recovery period because I pushed myself to my limits to battle through the injury to return to sports. My return to sports was an amazing feat and relief for me. The time I spent healing my knee injury passed very slowly. When I was released to play, I was excelling at a high varsity level as a mere freshmen. I showed my true character and personality through the worst event of my life. I believe that with perseverance and determination, one can overcome a challenge and excel to the next level.