The infallible medicine…

Alfonso - Central Falls, Rhode Island
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Laughter…it truly is the infallible medicine. I have arrived at this mentality due to my mother. After my mother left my father, her mind was still clouded with terrorizing memories. And the one thing that I did best was making people laugh. So whenever I was with my mom, I would try to be as funny as possible, and laugh at anything. After a month or so I saw joy in my mother’s eyes once again. Which also made me very happy. She helped me discover the infallible medicine I did not know I had long ago possessed. I believe in laughter, and that in can help people when nothing else works.

Tenth grade Chemistry was one of the places where I would most spread laughter throughout my classmates and friends. It was a warm summer Wednesday and the gang was all there; Jesse, Vanessa C, Blake, and me. We would always laugh, but on this particular day Vanessa’s laugh would be branded in my mind for as long as I know. And all it took was for me to connect something that occurred in the classroom, with a joke I was already telling. And then I heard, “HAHAHAHAHAhahahHAHAHAHAHAH!!!”

It was the only laugh I heard, which was Vanessa’s.

I believe that everyone should laugh at least once a day. Whenever I’m hanging out with my friends it’s in my nature to be funny, and make everyone laugh. I even make it part of my daily goals to make the people I encounter throughout the day laugh. I believe that everyone should be happy. I live my days by laughing at every opportunity that I can.

If you didn’t know, laughter causes your body to produce “endorphins” that make you feel a natural ‘happy’. So I use the body’s natural reaction to laughter to make people and myself feel happy. I think that if everyone laughed once a day, then we would all be happy. And it would benefit the world even.