Foes to Friends

Roman - Las Cruces, New Mexico

Foes to Friends

I believe in meeting new people. In elementary school there was a kid I knew nothing about. I’m almost positive he knew nothing about me, yet we still acted like we were enemies. We actually knew of each other before because we were on the same soccer team in kindergarten, but, of course, five or six years olds do not cause any drama, (or know what drama is for that matter) but there was something about me this kid obviously did not like. But I didn’t have a problem with him at all.

It was my 5th grade year of elementary when one morning the class was getting ready to start the day. I noticed my teacher bring in my “enemy” and soon found out that he was about to join my class! My great class was about to be ruined with a person I didn’t even know. I thought a complete stranger was going to make my school experience a bad one. A week had past with tension between him and me. No words were spoken, just a couple of scowls thrown at each other. Every now and then, I would find myself laughing at the same things he did and talk about the same things he did… I started to believe we were more similar than I thought. A couple of weeks later, we started talking and being friendlier to each other (I still don’t know how that happened with egos as big as ours), but I liked the kid, and as the year passed by, we became best friends. A lot of people were surprised that this happened. Even I was! Now we always can agree on almost anything and there’s never a dull moment. It may seem like no big deal, but I really liked being friends with him and it stopped me from being shallow with new friends. Now I can relate to a lot of different people and have all kinds of friends. It’s really nice.

I don’t go to school with my friend anymore, but I remember all the funny moments we had. We could always make something fun out of something as dreaded as week-long testing. Here I thought this kid was going to make my school experience bad, when all he did was make it the best it could be.