Reaching Out

Meg - Omaha, Nebraska
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that it is our responsibility to help those in need. Whether it is helping children, adults, the elderly, etc. Every one of us in the U.S.A has been blessed with much freedom and great opportunities. In other countries they are not as fortunate, so we should do our part and help them out. Every little thing that we do counts, whether it’s donating clothes to the Salvation Army or serving food to the poor, no matter what it is, every little thing makes a difference.

When I was a young girl, my parents always made me help them out when they went to deliver food to those in need during Christmas time. I dreaded waking up those early mornings; my parents had to practically drag me out of bed. We would all meet at a certain location and pick up hundreds of boxes full of food and then deliver them to certain houses. We would arrive at a house, drop the boxes off, and be on our way. Even after visiting almost 25 different houses, I was in such a hurry to get in and get out of there that I never even took the time to take in what it would really be like to that life. As I grew older, my outlook towards these families began to change.

I asked myself, how would I feel if it was questionable whether or not my parents were going to bring home food? How would I feel if I never really knew what Christmas was like because my parents couldn’t afford to buy me any presents? How would I feel if the things that I take for granted every day, were never a part of my life? Ever since I took the time to realize how selfish I had been in the past, I began to think much differently.

To this day, I still wake up those early mornings during the cold winter months to help my parents deliver food. But now I find myself not wanting to leave the homes of the families and would rather stay there and talk to them. To see the smiles on their face when we arrive with boxes full of food that may only last them a week makes those cold, early mornings seem like nothing. The feeling that I have made a difference in some one’s life means everything to me, no matter what the circumstances are.

Taking time to help those in needs might mean that you won’t get as many Christmas gifts or miss an opportunity to go out with your friends. There are families and children out there who don’t receive any Christmas gifts at all. So next time you are out, shopping for something you want, think about who really needs it.