I believe in Happiness

Heather - Harrison, Ohio
Themes: carpe diem
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

“This I Believe”

Heather Mays

I believe in happiness. One thing that everyone deserves is to be happy. However, we must create our own happiness because others have let us down.

Growing up I’ve always had this amazing ability to appear happy no matter what happened in my life. I could take even the worst situation and turn it around. This was my coping mechanism.

I always thought that no one else could make me happy except myself, for no one ever could make me happy before. This built in reliance in myself helped me get through the abuse and the pain.

Then one day he was gone. My loud drunk destructive father had left. It was quiet and calm. I wasn’t quite sure what to do with myself. Being naturally happy was a new experience for me. I mean without having to use my happiness as a façade to get through the day was a pleasant surprise for once. I would illuminate happiness through a simple smile.

From that point on I made it my goal, my life’s aspiration, to give this kind of happiness to everyone. I go about my day trying to do what I can to teach people that life is great and that being happy could let them see how great life is.

Go on. Do something you enjoy. Spend time with people you love, seize every opportunity you get to make a better you, and make the best out of every situation. In the end you will glow with happiness as well.

So, here’s my gift to you; happiness without guilt, love without pain, and a little smile from me telling you it will all be ok. : — }!