Breaking Free

Jake - Pembroke, Massachusetts
Themes: family, love

I have experienced a lot, through hardships and difficulties in my years prior to college that I feel in the end, love was the ultimate successor. I grew up with my father an alcoholic, being a part of his life as he struggled with the disease, fighting to control it and eventually breaking free. I could go on and on about my feelings and experiences from a child to a teenager, living with my father and alcoholism, but it is not necessary in order to prove my point. When I was younger I really didn’t understand what was going on with my dad, and why things were always so tough, but as I grew older and became more aware and knowledgeable I grew to understand what my dad was going through and was able to help him in his difficult times.

I believe that my love and the rest of my families love for my father as well as his love for us made him come to the realization that it was time for him to quit drinking and start living a healthier life. After years of hard work, emotions, and long nights along with the love and support from his friends and family and the help from trained professionals my father was able to overcome his addiction to alcohol and become sober. My father is now a 3-year recovering alcoholic and he is better than ever. I think that from my experiences with my father I have grown within myself becoming passionate and thankful for the people I surround myself with. If it wasn’t for him and his transformation I would not be the man I am today. I envy my father for his determination and success that has brought him to where he is today. My father is a strong man and I love him more than ever each day I think about what he has accomplished for the love of his family and friends. Love can conquer all. This I believe.