Killing a big buck

Tanner - spanish fork, Utah
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I look down at my watch and I notice I have been sitting in my tree stand for five hours. I have been counting does waiting for a big buck and I am on twelve. Suddenly I hear a branch break off to my left and I turn and look over; what did I see? Yep another doe. But all of the sudden I see a set or horns coming right behind her. The buck acts like he is being watched; he’s nervous to walk into the meadow. About a half hour goes by of nervousness; I could feel the sweat dripping off onto my arms and each one feels like it weighs a ton. The buck finally starts to feed into my meadow, watching carefully to make sure there is nothing there. He is about forty yards away from my tree stand; I am just about to take the shot when suddenly he starts to move again. He is slowly inching his way down the trail to my tree stand, it already feels like a lifetime has gone by. I slowly inch my arm up to my bow and pull it off the hook where it sits. I slowly take an arrow out of the quiver and just before I place it onto my string I look at my broad head and it looks beautiful; all three blades razor sharp and ready to rip through this deer’s chest.

Finally the big buck was twenty yards from my stand and I was ready to take the shot. I ever so slightly whistled so he would stop and when he did I slowly pulled my bow back and put my twenty yard pin right on his chest. Right when I went to release my arrow I looked at my shot and I noticed there was a branch hanging right in the way of his chest. I slowly crouched down; being careful not to fall of my stand. Now I was ready to shoot the monster buck. I slowly released my arrow and watched in slow motion as my arrow sunk into the chest of the deer.

The big buck took off on his death run; while gasping for breath. He ran right through my dads meadow where he was sitting and piled up. After about twenty minutes we decided to walk over and see my monster. We got there and I have never been so happy in my life. I had just shot a twenty two inch 4×5 with a five inch drop tine coming off his right horn. It was the best day of my life. I will never forget the day I shot “Fingers”