Mimi

Hannah - Phoenix, Arizona
Themes: death, family

Have you ever done something that you really regret now? Or done something stupid that you wish you hadn’t done? Although I have done this multiple times in my life, one instance in particular stands out in my mind.

My great-grandmother, or Mimi as my family and I called her, was an amazing lady. She was beautiful, smart, and loving. Mimi was small and frail, and sometimes when I hugged her, I was afraid she would break in half. She had bright blue eyes, the color of the ocean, and light, light hair. On a Saturday afternoon, I would most likely find Mimi reading or watching golf on T.V. Even when she got older, and couldn’t see very well Mimi would attempt to read, and if she failed trying she would typically ask someone to read to her. Her loving and caring nature made her a great friend and a fun person to be around.

Last March, Mimi passed away and my family and I attended her funeral. One of my biggest regrets is complaining and getting upset that I had to go to her funeral. My parents informed me that I would have to miss a day of school and I can honestly tell you that I made a huge deal out of going to Mimi’s funeral, and I pretty much threw a fit. However, at one point during the funeral, when various members of my family were making speeches about Mimi, I realized it was a good thing I was at the funeral. I realized how much my great-grandmother was loved, and how much she would be missed. I began to realize how much I would miss her, and how much I would wish to take back the selfish things I did and said. Since then, I have realized that I am glad that I went to Mimi’s funeral last year, because it showed that I cared about Mimi, and I was also supporting my family. Today, I cannot believe how selfish and self-centered I was being. I was stupid, and now it is too late to take back what I did and said.

The biggest lesson I have learned from this experience is to cherish life, and cherish the people you love, because life is short and you never know what is going to happen. From now on, I will be nicer to my grandparents, and treat them with respect, because they could leave this world at any time. I hope to follow through with this goal, and I also hope to find small ways to let my grandparents know how much I love them and care about them.