My Road to Sucess.

katherineq - south gate, California
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in being a successful person in life. As a high school student I begin to think to myself what my future would be like. I also begin to think about what the future has in store for me. When I was a child I always knew that I wanted to be a successful person in life. But I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to be. I remember in elementary being told that I was a gifted child and I would be able to do as I pleased if I put my heart to it. But something told me that wasn’t true. As I got older people would continue to tell me the same but again I didn’t believe it.

Then one day I approached my father and I asked him if all that was true. He answered me and told me that if I really believed in my ability to do what I pleased, that I would be able to do. The only thing that I had to do was try hard. A teacher told me I wouldn’t be able to do anything because of my race. After hearing those words I began to be ashamed of who I was. I told my father he then told me that it didn’t matter whether I was Mexican. He gave examples of Mexicans who succeeded in life. My father has always helped me in many ways. I have always had a good relationship with my parents that is something not every child has with their parents. I learned that no one can tell me what I was able to do. He told me that I had to defeat the odds.

As I started high school I continued with my mentality that I had to be someone in life. I was more determined to be someone because I began to see people around me not doing anything productive with their lives. I dint want to be like the people around me. In life I don’t want to succeed because people want me to but because I need to. My parents always told me that their purpose in life right now was to see my sister and I succeed in life. I believe that any person can succeed in life. As a senior I became a peer mentor, I would help freshman. One of the girls that I helped asked me what was the key purpose in life. I looked at her and replied that success was the key purpose in life.

Now that I am at the end of high school about to graduate I look back and I think to myself that I did what I had to do. I have one final step to take in my life and that is to get a career. I can truly say that those who believed in me are a true inspiration to me. If it wasn’t for them I wouldn’t be who I am today. A successful individual.