Tierney - Williamsport, Pennsylvania

Have you ever heard about people who like to sing and dance around their rooms? Well, that would be me, except I am typically dancing around in my underwear and singing into a hairbrush. Since I moved into a dorm with a roommate, I tend to refrain because I am sure she doesn’t want to see this happen. Everyone has a way of releasing stress. For me it is typically writing, but sometimes having the words written and spoken for me is a bit more relaxing. It’s probably because I don’t have to think or speak, but I get to just listen and feel.

I believe music is a way to express myself. I live by the idea that music is a way to say what my heart feels. This may be a weird theory to live by, but in all truth, words and music are my life. I live and die by the lines of a poem, book, or song.

I believe that music can help heal the soul. This is where all the hardcore, angry music and the slow and soothing music apply. Sometimes when I am angry, I like to turn on some loud, angry, screaming music. This would be because they can scream, yell and swear every line I am thinking without my disturbing the peace. As for when I am depressed or upset, I like to put on some slow and for lack of a better word, inspirational music. Those words cry all my sorrows away.

I believe that music is the heart’s way of speaking. Music, as they say, picks up where words fall short. So when I don’t know what to say or think, I turn on some music and listen to what someone else has to say and think. Hey, even those emo people make some good points, even though sometimes I have no idea where they are going with them.

At the end of the day, I believe music is the way of the world. Well, sort of. I mean there are a lot of other things that make this world turn and work. However, none of those things are like music and writing, which can convey so much emotion in just a few lines. I believe music is a release. Most of all, I believe in dancing around in my underwear!