Less Sleep More Pain

joshua - Romulus, Michigan

Have you ever been tired and did something really clumsy? I have many times before; I would trip or do something really clumsy because of lack of sleep. For example I would drop stuff more often or trip over stuff like my backpack or my own feet because I was less aware.

A better example would be a long time ago when I was about 11 or 12 years old. I was with my cousin and brother in my brother’s room. His room was painted green, there was a TV in the corner on an entertainment system, next to it was a desk with another TV, and across from the desk was his bed. We were playing Super Smash Bros. Melee on the Gamecube. The Gamecube was on the desk hooked up to the TV by it. We were across from it with our backs to his bed. We stayed up all night playing that game. While we were playing the game I won most of the matches. My cousin and brother were jealous while I was proud and bragged about it.

It was about 7:00 in the morning & I ha d to go use the bathroom. Now I was Farthest from the door. So I got up and tried to step over the cords. I ended up tripping over the last cord and falling on the ground in the corner next to the door. While I was falling I felt as if it was happening in slow motion. I was thinking to myself how to stop, but I had no ideas and continued to fall.

The Gamecube ended up falling on my leg, I hit my head on the wall, and a small plastic container filled with clothes ended up falling on my back. I was laid out on the floor (stomach down) covered by stuff. My cousin and cousin did nothing but laugh for a little while then asked if I was all right. While I was on the ground I thought they might be content with losing so much. I got up about 5 seconds later after I fell, and then I told them I was fine and used he bathroom afterwards.

Sometimes we talk about and we still laugh about it. I really was all right but I was a bit embarrassed even though I was laughing with them. It would probably have happened differently if I weren’t so tired. Maybe it would have happened differently if I weren’t so tired. As a result I believe clumsy sleepy people (like me) can get clumsier when we are sleepier.