tyranny of the majority

Samantha - Miami, Florida
Themes: humanism

I believe in humanity. I believe that there are still people out there who care for the welfare of others and the outcome of society. I used to think that our communities have been covered with crime, stories of rape in parking lots, a father murdering two girls in my school, whole houses emptied in the broad daylight, war, poverty, homicides. But I have met a saintly few, the good samaritans that make up for the delinquents. I once slipped on a woman’s drivers license and looked up her name in the yellow pages. We agreed to meet and so I could return her license. She greeted me warmly and was thankful for the safe return. She gave me cookies and a card for the kindness. The cookies were delicious, but the card was a real gesture. Inside was written,”I’m so glad there are people like you left in the world”.