Bad Luck Football

Joseph - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: family, setbacks
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Bad Luck Football

I believe that going outside and losing your football is bad luck. It happened to me. I was about eleven and we had moved from Hatch, New Mexico to Las Cruces, New Mexico. I had looked outside and seen it was a perfect day. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. I went to find my football. I looked first in my room. I usually leave it right by my bed. It wasn’t there though. I thought that was kind of weird because I always had found it or left it by my bed. So I just figured I had accidentally left it in the closet. When I looked in there I realized I hadn’t picked up my laundry or shoes in a while. While I threw blankets and clothes around trying to find my football, I stepped on a thumbtack. It wouldn’t have been so bad if I had shoes on. In fact it wouldn’t have hurt at all. But I was just wearing socks. So I gave up looking for my football in there.

Next I went to look for it where I usually hang out. I looked in the kitchen (and got a snack) and of course, it wasn’t there. I tried the living room and looked everywhere. I tried behind the couch, under the table that has a lamp on it, by the TV, under my Play Station 3 (which was all dusty so I had to clean it) but it wasn’t anywhere. I decided that one of my sisters had stolen it, so I went to ask my sister Alma if she had seen it. Of course she had to be a brat and we got into a really bad argument. As if it couldn’t get any worse, my mom appeared and just yelled at us while we were arguing. I got in trouble, my sister got in trouble, and we couldn’t argue back.

I still haven’t found my football to this day. I’m thirteen now. Well, I’ve found it a few times, but I can’t find it right now. It has devastating results. My mom and I have been getting in arguments a lot. I can’t agree with her on one thing, and she can’t agree with me on another thing. To top it off, I can’t play videogames because she thinks I have a bad attitude. It stinks. I wonder if since the ball hasn’t been found if I left it in my mom’s or dad’s cars. We go to the park sometimes and I like to bring it. I’m going to be looking for my football today. I don’t think I’ll find it, but I have a pretty good feeling about it this time.