The Storage In Your Mind

Brianna - Las Cruces, New Mexico
Themes: legacy

The Storage in Your Mind

I believe in memories. Everyone has them. Some are good; some are bad, but everyone has at least one that no matter how long they live, they will never forget it. I’m sure everyone has heard that old saying, “Take a picture, it’ll last longer”. I don’t believe that. We have a way of blocking out memories we don’t like or forgetting unpleasant things that happened in everyone’s lives, but sooner or later something’s going to bring that memory back. I don’t think we should ever forget our memories – even the bad ones. I believe that regardless how dire a memory is, we should hold on to it. Hopefully someday we will be able to look back upon the memory without pain. We will be able to forgive ourselves or the person who created the bad memory. Admittedly, I have not been able to forgive the object of my bad memories, but that’s why I’m holding on to them. Someday in the future I will look back upon these memories and forget (and forgive) the hatred and the pain that those memories hold in them.

I didn’t have the most admirable life as I was being brought up, and it pains me to say that I cannot remember one good thing about my childhood. I am now thirteen, and the whole conflict is over, but still, I hold on to these memories. This may not be the most important lesson in the world, but it is one that I believe very strongly in. Photographs can be destroyed, but I don’t believe that memories will ever be completely ruined despite how hard we try to forget. There’s always going to be at least one small part in us that remembers and no matter how much we don’t want to, something’s going to happen that will make us remember. The longer we hold on to them without looking back and not reliving them, the longer it will take to get over them.

You remember sitting in the living room with your family going over old pictures in the family album? Then you look at a picture that triggers the memory in your mind, and you relive that day or that moment in your mind. A picture can only tell so much, but memories can tell a whole story. That’s exactly why I hold on to these memories. They aren’t the best in the whole world, but they’re mine, so I will hold on to them forever. I may not like them, but they still belong to me. They are me.

How many of you who are reading this have suppressed memories? I may be wrong, but I think all of you do. So I beseech you, take those memories out of the storage in your mind, dust them off, relive them and get beyond them.