Many Beliefs Making a Whole

Bridget - Carrboro, North Carolina
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Many beliefs making a whole

I want to draw pictures with words. I want vivid experiences that I can tell and retell a thousand times. I want language in general to be heard as music. I want to understand religion, and I want to embrace beauty that otherwise goes unseen. I want every drop of life that I can squeeze from this existence on earth. I want to love and be loved, I want fame and beauty and success. I want more than I will ever be able to fit into the space I have. I want words to come easily in times of difficulty, and I want my imaginary future to become a reality.

I am a dreamer, an occasional idiot, a mild spazz, and once in a while I am a grown up.

I am self centered as any other teenager, any other American, any other person who has been given the world’s opportunities from day one.

I love the power of speech, and the uses of human interaction. I love friends that can make me laugh in the most uncomfortable of circumstances. I love my family, and the many stories that have been passed down through the years, that I one day hope to pass down myself. I love change in seasons, and holidays that involve giving. I love people that can be pillars for others.

I know that I am a person of worth, a person who can help others as I have been helped. I know that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes, and that intelligence is not only a matter of a score on a test, but also a measure of experience and understanding of the world that we live in. I know that peace is imaginary in my lifetime, but nevertheless it should be fought for.

I believe that a good song or book can change a person’s life. I believe that the people we surround ourselves with are reflections of who we are from the world’s point of view, who we can be, and who we see in ourselves. I believe that my footprint should be found in cement, not in the environment. I believe that in order for history not to repeat itself we must accept our mistakes, and adapt to the new circumstances that are created every day.

I hope that I have a purpose in the world. I hope that my dreams are attainable. I hope that reality doesn’t suck as much as it seems to from where I stand. I hope that silver linings will always find me when I feel lost. I hope that I will love my life to the last minute, because simply being content will just not be enough.