A CHANCE to Believe

Abbie - Cincinnati, Ohio
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Two years ago I was asked to write a “this I believe” for my AP English Comprehension class. It was one of the hardest things I’ve had to do because I made me realize that I really didn’t know what I believed in. Eventually I processed the thought of believing in something coherent to life and came up with my life motto. I believe that everything one does equally affects others whether intended or not.

As I sit here again asked to express what I believe in I’m better equipped for the challenge. I’m more experienced now. Yes, it has only been two years but believe me when I say a lifetime can happen in two years—no, that’s not my “this I believe.”

We all face obstacles daily. Some are greater than others, but nonetheless—obstacles. With each obstacle comes a decision. Whether it is to ignore the problem and hope it goes away, or embrace it—making the best of it and moving forward. Life has no regrets, only lessons learned. I believe that everyone has a chance—a chance to fail and a chance to succeed.

The decisions we make in relation to the chances we’re given is what determines how we handle and adapt to each opportunity. Therefore we have every right to fail, but despite all odds we have just the same amount of right to succeed. All we need is a CHANCE!