My regret

Bradley - Milford, Michigan
Themes: death, family

My Regret

Have you ever done something you regret? Whenever I hear that question, or someone asks me this, the first thing that pops into my head is my Uncle Dave’s death, and how I regret the advantage that I didn’t take from hm. Remember this, regrets should not be forgotten.

I was 12 years old when it happened. We received a phone call from one of my aunts that he died. My cousin Tim came home from work one day and found Uncle Dave slouched over in his chair at the computer. The doctors said it was a heart attack, which I believe. He was, after all, a chain smoker and heavy drinker.

Then, I started thinking about him more and more and I realized something that I hadn’t before. He could fix anything that broke around his 308 acre cherry farm in Frankfort, Michigan. He had worked at Ford Motor Company for 25 years where he had made numerous friends. He had a wife and raised one daughter and one son. He had retired when he was 52 years old and he died when he was 58 years old. He had retired at an earlier age than most people because he wanted to live his dream of owning a farm up north. Some years his crop of cherries weren’t good and he didn’t get paid much for them. But he still tried every year. David Chemleski was a good man.

I still remeber doing a lot for him during our trips to the farm. I mowed his lawn a couple of times, I set up his horse shoe pits, I even helped him take apart his forklift tractor to replace a part.

I’ve never really thought about who he was, and I regret not getting to know him better. I could of learned a lot more from him if I had the chance. A lot of people don’t have this type of advantage and I regret not taking this advantage. This is why I think regrets should not ever be forgotten.