The Healing Power Of A Smile

Jessica - Park City, Utah
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe in the power of a smile.

Have you ever noticed that when you smile at someone who looks sad, they seem to cheer up? I believe that a simple smile can make anyone’s day. No matter what your mood is, if you see someone smile at you, it automatically makes you happier. I think that this is because you feel like all of a sudden, someone cares about you. I may only be 13, but this theory still applies.

One day at school, right after my mom had told me that she and my dad were getting divorced, I went to school wrapped up in my own world. As I was walking through the halls, I noticed someone smiling at me. For the rest of the day, I smiled and noticed the difference in attitudes around me. It even worked with teachers. If the saying, “What goes around comes around,” is true, then don’t you want to be nice?

I have also realized, that the best way to apologize to someone who won’t talk to you is to smile. There is no one who can stay mad at a smiling person. I know from experience that even people who hate you will smile back. This works in school or anywhere really. Everyone has feeling, no matter their job, and will appreciate your smile.

Have you ever realized that when you smile the area around you seems to be happier and brighter? When at a meeting, someone I know was very nervous and shaky. She looked out at the audience and saw several people smile and had the courage to smile and ive her presentation. So instead of picturing the audience in their underpants, picture them smiling. You will relax.

Whenever I am in a bad mood, I smile. Even though smiling may seem like a disguise, smiling makes you happier. I don’t know how or why, but I think that smiling is the best thing that ever happened to mankind. Think about it, what do you do when you are happy? What do you do when you are trying to be happy? What makes you and others happy? Smiles.