Belief in a brown bag

Lisa - Kansas City, Missouri

I have always brought my lunch to school. Every morning I wake up and it’s there, waiting for me. A symbol of my moms love, memories of my childhood, all wrapped up in a brown paper bag. It is there, just for me, everyday, it is my constant. I believe in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

When everything else goes wrong, my peanut butter and jelly is still right. If me and my best friend get in a fight, I fail a test, and my boyfriend breaks up with me, it will feel like my whole world is falling apart. When circumstances like that occur, it is comforting to go to lunch and bite into my P.B. and J. I can rely on it to always taste good and to fill me up. It will always be among the rest of the contents of my brown paper bag. It’s good to have that, it keeps me going.

Having my peanut better and jelly sandwich everyday keeps me balanced. No matter how much my mom and I fight, that sandwich is a continuous reminder of her love for me. When I’m stressed over being so busy, overwhelmed with school, sports, and band it reminds me of the good days, back in elementary school, trading chips, coloring pictures and recess. When I am thinking about my future and how clueless I am, I know that someday, I will at least be able to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for my children, and it will all be alright.

It’s important to have something you can always depend on. I never get sick of my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and they simply can’t get sick of me. I don’t have to worry about being hungry, it’ll be there at lunch, no matter what. If I’m running late, it’s quick and easy to make. Not to mention if a friend forgets their lunch, I will always have my sandwich to share. It can’t ditch me or disappoint me, each tastes just as good as the one before it. It’s good to have something you can depend on.

I believe in peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. That having something, that will never change, that will follow you through the years, that you can pass on is a wonderful thing to have, to lean on even. This, I believe.