Drag

Chris - Midlothian, Virginia
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Drag

I believe in drag. There is no reason that a man can’t wear the same things as a woman and be accepted for what he chooses. He should be looked at as if he was the same person he’s always been, just a little more glamorous. It took me a little while to realize that it’s ok for myself.

I’ve always been different from everyone else. I mean I’ve had many friends and still done the same activities but I’ve just felt different on the inside. My influences are Prince, Michael Jackson, and the king of all queens Boy George. I started wearing eyeliner because of the first two but Boy George made me want to take it to the next level. So for Halloween this past year I decided to dress it up like I truly wanted to. I was a little nervous with being around so many people who might not like it. I did it anyways and I was so excited. Everyone was completely ok with what I was doing. It was truly a blessing that I could act as feminine as I wanted to and people would still be my friends.

You don’t have to be gay to dress drag. It all depends on how you feel on the inside. I haven’t been with a man but I still want to look pretty when I can. If it makes you feel good then do it, not everybody’s as shallow as you might think. For me just admitting and coming to terms with what I wanted helped me immensely. Life is too short to be worried and unhappy all the time. There’s much more out there to enjoy and just knowing that I’m a feminine man and that I like to dress up is a beautiful thing.

If you want to feel pretty then do it. There’s nothing wrong with showing who you are and how you feel. If dressing drag makes you feel right like it did me then you’re entering a whole new world of happiness. If you got it flaunt it, you’ve got to dress up, get out, and let the world see what you really are.