I believe in reading

Selina - Security, Colorado

I Believe in Reading

I believe in reading everything that can be read. When I read, I learn things that I haven’t known before, like what a particle accelerator is, or what the word masochist means. When I’m bored, I’ll read labels on things, like the ingredients of a Sobe I’m drinking at the time, or sometimes directions to things that most people normally wouldn’t follow, like how to use Dove shampoo. Also, when I read, I use my imagination. I’ve gotten to the point where I can picture what I read in my mind, as if it were a movie playing in my head, and I can picture the setting, the characters, and their voices.

I remember in my first two years of high school, I used to hate reading. Usually when I read something there was a test after it. My sister was the reader back then. She was the one that had a whole library, well it wasn’t really a library, but a whole shelf filled with all sorts of books to read. There were sections for action, fantasy, and romance. As year number three of high school started, my sister moved away to college, leaving her coveted books behind. I never thought anything of it really; time just kept going by, and as it did, no one touched those books.

Halfway through the school year, I had joined the girls’ soccer team. I was very excited because I had not played soccer before. What I didn’t expect was practice to be at four, when school got out at three. I now had a huge gap of time on my hands with nothing to do, so I started doing my homework.

Then, the dreaded book report came. I had no clue what to read, so I called my sister and asked for help. She told me to stand in front of the book case, close my eyes and point; I did what she told me and pointed. When I opened my eyes, I had picked a book called Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. It looked interesting, so I started to read it, thus beginning my addiction to reading. As my new habit grew, my grades went up from C’s and my spelling and grammar got better as well. As I read, I found new worlds where I could completely lose myself in and explore.

I am now a college student who doesn’t have any time to read at all, but I still love reading. I can finish a five hundred page book in about three to four days. And I hope to be able to break my record and read a five hundred page book in one day, or possibly a few hours. I know that reading has completely changed me as a person and it has helped me to progress in life. I believe in reading. It’s good for the mind and for the soul.