Life Without Borders

Oscar - Thornton, Colorado
Entered on April 7, 2009
Age Group: Under 18
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

  • Podcasts

    Sign up for our free, weekly podcast of featured essays. You can download recent episodes individually, or subscribe to automatically receive each podcast. Learn more.

  • FAQ

    Frequently asked questions about the This I Believe project, educational opportunities and more...

  • Top Essays USB Drive

    This USB drive contains 100 of the top This I Believe audio broadcasts of the last ten years, plus some favorites from Edward R. Murrow's radio series of the 1950s. It's perfect for personal or classroom use! Click here to learn more.

“You have a 95% chance of dying and a 5% chance of living.” These words are words I am sure no one would ever want to hear in their lifetime, but they are words that my mom has heard and those words were the beginning of a new life for my family and I. As cheesy as it sounds, I do believe in miracles and every event in our life happens for a reason.

I was just a two year old kid, carefree and definitely unaware of the problems around me. It was just two months before my third birthday, when my mom was rushed to the hospital in the city of Chihuahua, Mexico. Her gallbladder was about to burst and as soon as she arrived to the hospital, the doctors quickly figured out the problem and uttered to her that she had a 5% chance of living. They quickly rushed her into the medical room and began performing the procedure to remove the gallbladder. My father(who was at the United States working) came right away as soon as he heard the news. As soon as my father arrived my mom had already made it out of the operation, with only that 5% chance, if that’s not a miracle than I don’t know what is. But it wasn’t over, the doctors explained to my mom that they had discovered that her kidneys were failing and that she needed a transplant, she was immediately taken to dialysis.

I had just turned three when I heard the big news that we were moving to the USA. Our whole family had to move there, because it was the best place for my mom to get treatment, if we stayed in Mexico there would be no hope. If that whole ordeal wouldn’t have happened, I wouldn’t have gotten the chance to live a good life, I would have not had as many opportunities or even a chance to actually get a good education, and I wouldn’t be able to experience air conditioning or maybe not even a burger from McDonalds. Everyone deserves to have a good life, though not everyone does have one. While those that do, fail to see or even take advantage of their opportunities.

I believe that miracles will and do happen, all these things in our life happen for a reason. Whenever I think of this event, it makes me go “wow!” One thing lead to such a life changing event that if it wouldn’t have happened then I wouldn’t be here typing this. I wouldn’t even be in this country.