My Best Friend

Allie - Rosemount, Minnesota
Themes: death, family
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

My Best Friend

I believe that we should always be happy because life is too short to not enjoy it.

When I was three years old my grandpa became diagnosed with cancer. I was little and didn’t know how serious and deadly it could be. He kept fighting hard and my family went to see him quite often. Grandpa always had a smile on his face when we visited him, but we could tell that he was very sick. He continued chemotherapy regularly and by the time I turned four he no longer had cancer. Everyone seemed happy and cheerful again.

During these times we went to go visit him more often and camped together. My grandpa Torgie became my best friend.

Suddenly in the blink of an eye my grandpa had cancer again. The horrible disease had come back and started spreading through his whole body. The doctors decided to try a stem cell transplant where they took some of my grandpa’s blood, treated it and then gave it back to him. During this procedure my grandpa stayed at the gift of life transplant house in Rochester Minnesota where everything stayed protected and safe. Children were not allowed inside, so grandpa had to come out. He said that he missed us and wanted to go home. He was very tired, so we couldn’t stay very long. We hugged and kissed him and left to go home.

Soon we became aware o f the news that my grandpa could go home. He was way too sick and the doctors knew that he would not live much longer.

One night, about 2:00 in the morning, the phone rang and my mom rushed to answer it. When she came into my room she was crying. She hugged me and I cried with her. My sister, mom and I just laid in my bed until morning.

When I was six years old, my grandpa Torgie died of cancer. He was my best friend in the whole world.

After my grandpa died, my grandma came to live with my family and me. I don’t remember much about my grandpa but he still stays with me wherever I go, in my heart. My grandpa always kept a positive attitude toward things. He helped me to learn many things but mostly to be happy all of the time because life is too short to not enjoy it.