Persistence

auzzy - highlands ranch, Colorado

How long would you work to be good at something? There are two kinds of people in the world: persistent people and people who give up. A trait that is common among all great people is determination. People who don’t give up and always try their best will eventually get what they want. Throughout life, I have experienced many things that cause me to believe that persistence always prevails.

When I was little my hockey team didn’t have much talent, but the one thing we did have was heart. One year we were in the playoffs and we were scared because we had to go up against the top team in the league who we’d lost to many times already. So the week before that game we practiced harder than ever before. We started that game playing a lot harder than they did and we beat them.

In life, if you want something you have to be persistent and then you will be successful. When the 1980 USA Olympic hockey team beat the Soviet Union (the best team in the world) it was because they had worked persistently at being the better team. The USA team was originally a bunch of college guys who didn’t think they had what it takes. But the one thing they did have persistence, and all their hard work paid off because now everyone knows that team as the miracle team, who beat the invincible Soviet Union.

In my lifetime, I’ve played hockey a lot, and it is my greatest passion. I don’t think that I will ever stop playing hockey. Even if I do not play any major hockey when I’m older, I’ll still be going to extra practices after school and work, and hopefully teach my kids how to play and how to love the game just like I do. My persistence in hockey has taught me how to love the game, and I will continue to play it forever.

Persistence: a reoccurring idea that seems to be linked to all our successful memories and fairytale, underdog stories. I believe that persistent people will get, and always have gotten, everything they’ve wanted out of life.