East of Eden

Michele - 48103, Michigan
Themes: humanism

This is not my personal story or words, but rather an excerpt from John Stienbeck’s “East of Eden.” I was re-reading a page that I had really enjoyed and noticed his use of the token phrase of this program:

“Nothing was ever created by 2 men. There are no good collaborations, whether in music, in are, in poetry, in mathematics, in philosophy. Once the miracle of creation has taken place, the group can build and extend it, but the group never invents anything. The preciousness lies in the lonely mind of a man.

….

And this I believe: that the free, exploring mind of the individual human in the most valuable thing in the world. And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected. And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual. This is what I am and what I am about. I can understand why a system built on a pattern must try to destroy the free mind, for that is one thing which can by inspection destroy such a system. Surely I can understand this, and I hate it and I will fight against it to preserve the one thing that separates us from the uncreative beasts. If the glory can be killed, we are lost”