25 days of Christmas

Victoria - Mill Creek, Washington

This I Believe:

25 Days of Christmas

The thunder of two sets of little feet running down the stairs echoed in the house late in the evening. The entire house was decorated with Santa, red and green, and a seven-foot tall evergreen tree covered with homemade ornaments. Bright lights from the trees outside shinned brightly in the night. It was eight o’ clock and my younger sister and I had been waiting all day. “What Christmas movie is on tonight?” I asked excitedly.

My dad sat on the worn in couch with a big bowl of popcorn and the biggest blanket imaginable, one that could cover my whole family. I jumped over our sleeping German Sheppard that lay at the feet of my dad, in my green footy pajamas and snuggled into his side. My mom on the other side of me with my sister filled the space on the couch and the love between us all was visible like a rosy flush from a warm blanket. Time paused and stood still and I was content with just spending time together with my family. The TV my parents had from gotten their first year as a new couple seemed like new when the movie started and winds that nipped and blew tree branches against the window faded. The warm glow of the fire added comfort to the December night.

On the same channel, at the same time each year for 25 days in a row the continual joy and believing existed in the Christmas movies played and watched. Every so often I would shed a few tears for the people in the movie when they were going through a hard time but those drops of water always fell on the shoulders of my mom or dad. In the end though, the best part of every Christmas movie is the happy ending.

A Christmas movie brings my family together. My family is filled with the ones that I love and care for more deeply than I can describe and I know they love me unconditionally. The time we spend together watching movies during the holidays are times I will never forget.