It’s What’s on the Inside that Counts

Katie - Manvel, Texas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe that people should be judge by their inward personality not their outward appearance. People should accept each other for who they are based on attitude and how well your chemistry is together. Even if there is not good chemistry you should still treat people “weird” or not with the same respect as you would your best friend.

In middle school I was bullied and disliked by the mean girls in the school. They would ridicule me over every single mistake I made, even if they had made the same mistake. I believed that the mean girls picked on me because I had glasses and bucked teeth (that was before I got braces or contacts) and they considered me being socially awkward through their eyes.

I even tried like a pathetic follower to fit in with them. I changed my appearance drastically. I wore globs of makeup like the mean girls did that made me look cheap, wore tighter fitting clothes that made me look like a slut (just like the mean girls were) and changed my personality which changed me as a person (not one I liked), and of course that didn’t even help me. They still shunned me and made me at outcast.

At that time, I did not even realize that the only reason they picked on me was that they were shallow, insecure, and snobby, bitches that put people down who were not up to there mean girl standards just to put themselves up. They were the mean girls of the school and they had to pick on someone, so they chose me.

Surviving through those horrid years has given me a greater meaning “it’s what’s on the inside that counts” because like most I used to judge people on their outward appearance and after the “traumatic years” (5th and 6th grade) I accept people for who they are. By doing that it made me grow as a person and better myself in all aspects.

The bullying in middle school in the end mad me less shallow and gave me great emotional strength that I hope others will be able to experience and feel. Of course there are always the mean girls out there and that makes my beliefs even more crucial. I believe that not only people shouldn’t be judged but that everyone needs to feel accepted no matter who they are, we all need some acceptance. Looking on what is on the inside is best place I believe to start the acceptance progress.