This I believe

Bethany - USA

This I believe

By the time I was twelve I had moved four times. Some people may not like a lifestyle that involves so much change so frequently. I didn’t choose this life, but I love it. I am glad my parents chose the life they did, otherwise I would be afraid to step outside my box and try new things. Reflecting back on my life, I have really come to realize how valuable the lessons I have learned from moving really are.

The most important lesson, and one I still use today is that I believe that I can do anything I set my mind to; I just have to work to get it. That belief is something my mom really impressed on me when I was younger. At home my mom never let me say that I couldn’t do something. I recall one time when I was about ten years old that I said, “I can’t do my homework; it’s too hard.” After I said that she made me write “I can” over and over again until it filled up the front and back side of a paper. That lesson didn’t just apply to homework problems, but many other things like making friends or trying out for a sport. Moving so much forced me to do new things and meet new people.

Believing that I can do anything, and face any obstacle that comes my way really paid off when we moved to Alaska. When we moved to Alaska from Las Vegas it was a huge culture shock. I didn’t think I could fit in, and it really upset me for awhile. Eventually I made myself go out and try and make friends, and what to you know, it worked. Things seem a lot harder than they really are when you don’t try. All I had to do was set my mind to it and try. After getting settled in Alaska, I started to embrace it. I went snow-machining, fishing, camping, and almost everything else you can do here.

Trying new things makes it easier to try again. So I know that when I go off to college in the fall, it won’t be so hard. I am already a pretty shy person. So if I wouldn’t have had the opportunities of moving around and being forced to step outside my box, I don’t think I would have a strong ability to set my mind to try new things. Stepping outside my comfort zone and working hard to get what I want I believe makes me a better and stronger person.