I believe that I’m honoring the promise to my mother

Bao - Littleton, Colorado
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I grew up in a poor family of 6 where my dad worked hard and my mother stayed home for her health problems. Although our family’s financial was very limited, my parents hoped our siblings in all to pursue a good education from school. They wanted us attend to college.

Many times I intended to give up my study because I couldn’t stand to see my parents’ struggles and sacrifices anymore. My dad worked so hard that exhausted. My mother’s health became serious because she avoided her chemotherapy. She wanted to save her treatment’s spending for our study in college. I cried a lot and wonder why I can’t do anything for my family. The turning point in my life was on the day when my mother was gone. She spoke in a low voice whisper “promise me! You will not ever give up your study for any reasons”.

The long time while my mother was treating in the hospital, I discovered my love for medicine and service. Seeing the hardship of the sick and the devotion of doctors, nurses in hospital has helped me realize what my dream is. My goal for future is to pursue a medical degree and help the people in my community to live healthy, fulfilled lives.

I thought that I could have never asked for better parents. I owe both my dad and my mother so much because if it wasn’t for them, I wouldn’t be the person I am today. I believe that living up to one’s promise as a way of initial achievements in life.