Flashy Modesty

Maci - Wasilla, Alaska
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

As I stepped out of the dressing room I heard, “Wow, that looks beautiful.” I smiled and stepped in front of the mirror. I looked at myself in the fancy, bright green, prom dress and around me I heard many compliments. Everyone loved this dress, but I just didn’t think it was the right one. The front was very low, and I felt uncomfortable being so exposed. I decided, although everyone disagreed, that I was going to keep looking for that perfect dress. I stumbled upon my ultimate dress in an unexpected place and fell in love with it. As the owner of the dress shop was helping me try my royal blue, one shoulder prom dress on she said, “I just love this dress. It is so elegant, and yet it covers you modestly.”

Modesty is a word that seems to be lost in our society today. Little girls are losing their innocence at such a young age; they are being exposed to more than I was as a young girl. The magazines, movies, and negative role models girls are many unfiltered sources in which girls are seeing and learning things they should see and learn about at much older ages. I was raised in a Christian church where modesty and purity are very important. Yet I have made my own personal choice to dress as modestly as I can. As I stood in front of the tall mirror looking at myself in such a low cut dress I realized how important my innocence still is to me. I love the fashion world, the glamour and fascinating celebrity lifestyle. It is tempting to buy clothes that are fashionable, yet not so modest.

I have learned throughout my high school years that it is respectable to dress modestly. While I thought that no one really noticed, they actually do. As I have gotten older I have no regrets about my past wardrobe. I now realize that in such a crazy and corrupt world it is very hard to keep your innocence, but you can keep your self-respect. I did not need to be flashing myself around to get attention; sometimes modesty gets the best attention.