The Gifts of Friendship

Erin - Astoria, New York
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

The Gifts of Friendship

There are many ways in which a person can shape your life—in the silences, the subtle gestures and sometimes in the consistent but unnoticed belief in your potential. I believe that friendship in the Romantic sense of the word is rare in these days of Internet social networking in which the word ‘friend’ is stretched to its thinnest layer, almost changing its fundamental shape. I once had a friend whose purposeful naïveté allowed for my best qualities to be revealed without artifice or self-consciousness. I believe in the hidden gifts given to us by our truest friends, often times not realized until they are gone. These gifts reveal themselves in the unanticipated spaces of our emotional and intellectual lives. The gifts my friend gave me, so subtle and consistent that I didn’t realize their importance, were the confidence to tell my stories and the belief in my highest potential. My friend passed away at 31, as suddenly as she came into my life twenty-four years ago. I believe that true friendship should be appreciated and nurtured—internalizing these small gifts and then sharing them with others.