Be Yourself

Danielle - Boulder Creek, California
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Something I believe is that you should BE YOURSELF. There is no particular event that I can tie to this belief because it’s more like a how you are than what you do. Being yourself is what makes everyone different and when everyone is different, everyone can be perfect in their own unique way. When you’re trying to be exactly like everyone else, it’s full of disappointment and you can forget who you are. There will always be one “perfect” person that everyone looks up to and everyone thinks they should be like, and when that happens people go by what they think they should look like or be like instead of how they really are.

I think a part of being yourself is being able to accept diversity and differences in other people. I believe that you should see yourself as different and equal instead of getting caught up in being better or worse. Don’t be afraid to have your own opinions and your own preferences, that’s why you have a brain, so that you can think not somebody else doing it for you. If you live through your entire life always trying to be like someone else, it’s almost like you didn’t really live much at all.

In addition to being yourself, I think it’s important that you are able to accept yourself and be comfortable with yourself. Being able to laugh at yourself and have fun without being embarrassed about every little “imperfection” is so much more enjoyable and enjoyable to be around.

People might think you’re weird, or they might think you’re normal, or maybe they’ll think you’re really cool, but why should you care what people think? You can be you and they can be them and everyone can be happy. We are all people and we need to be ourselves and acknowledge that everyone is different.