Adriana - 11020, New York

I believe that words are powerful. I learned this at a very young age. Since then I have continued to choose my words carefully I now understand that at times people may take things that you say differently than are intended to. People can learn a lot about you by the words you choose. Words communicate thoughts that can hurt, help, and show emotions

When I was about six years old I learned a valuable lesson that I will never forget. My older sister, Alexa, had a few friends over one day. I found a picture of her when she was a baby and showed it to them. Although this doesn’t seem like such a big deal, it was to Alexa. She found it very embarrassing and got upset. I was pretty confused when she stormed up to her room. I then said to her friends, “I hate my sister.” I have never said that I hated someone again after this day.

I love my sister. We have such a close relationship that makes us much more than just sisters. My sister and I are best friends and we will always be in each other’s lives. When I said those four words, I didn’t mean them. My mom heard me say them and gave me the lecture of a lifetime. I was surprised that I was in so much trouble. Then I realized that I wasn’t in trouble. I was being taught a life lesson. Being so young, I really only understood that I shouldn’t say hate and how much words can affect what I am trying to communicate to others. The next day at school my friend said, “I hate that girl!” I responded, “Don’t ever say hate. You dislike her.” Now if you ask my friends they will tell you how much I say, “Don’t say hate.”

I dislike this word so much because hate means an intense or passionate dislike. I believe that if you don’t like someone or someone bothers you, you should move on to the next person. I always remember, there are plenty of other people in this world that want to be my friend, want to have a friend, and I want to be there’s. As a young adult, I choose my words by making sure I mean them. By using negative words, good will not come. By knowing that tomorrow will be a brighter day, I can go through a difficult day with a smile on my face.