Living a Life Without Fear

Talia - Great Neck, New York
Themes: fear

I believe that you should live a life without fear. I believe that if you have fear, it will dominate your life, and that is why you should demolish it.

I used to be afraid of dogs. Every time I saw a dog, I would leave the room or hide behind somebody. I then realized that I should not let the dog take control of what I do. I learned to like dogs when my aunt got a dog. At first I would run away from it. I would run all around the house with my three-year-old cousin holding the leash and keeping it from attacking me. I would run up and down the stairs and would sometimes even hide in the bathroom. I then realized how stupid it was to be running away from a dog when my little cousin would go up to it as if he was no big deal. Then, I finally learned not to be scared of the dog. I would start to pet him and realize how calm he became when I was around. I would then start to play fetch with him and realized that he was only hyper if you would run away from him. I realized that this dog could not hurt me as much as I could hurt him. I am now not scared of that particular dog nor any other dog.

I learned to overcome my fear by slowly trying to stay calm when I would see the dog. I realized that this was like anything in life- that I should not let fear dominate my life because that then I would not live life to its fullest. I learned that if I put my mind to it, I could conquer my fears and accomplish whatever I set my mind to do.

Sometimes, I am scared to present something to a class or even raise my hand. When I present a presentation, my heart beats fast because I would be nervous. I would talk too fast and not get my point across to the class. Afterwards, I would be disappointed with myself because I knew I could do better. Also, I used to be nervous when I would raise my hand in a class to ask or answer a question. If I was nervous to raise my hand to ask a question, then sometimes I would not get my question to the teacher and I would not have the answer of my question. I then realized that I should not be worried when I would raise my hand because the teacher is there to listen and to help me. If I would not raise my hand, then I would not fulfill my full potential. Thanks to all of these experiences that I have had, I have learned that “there is nothing to fear but fear itself.” I realized that I should not let something like a silly little fear stop me from achieving my goal.