Changing with a Smile

Brianna - Marvel, Colorado
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Changing with a Smile

This I believe a simple smile can change everything; it can change my whole day from bad to good. I’ve always been a big fan of smiles. I have several quotes and poems that I have collected throughout my life on smiles. My motto has always been that smiles make the world a better place, and I can testify to that. I have had several experiences in my life. Some goods others not so good.

Sometimes things happen where I’m feeling a bit depressed or even angry. For a while I had several days where life had grabbed a hold of me and was pulling me down, and its hold on me was stronger than I could fight. I was drowning in self-doubt. I couldn’t or wouldn’t try to pep myself up and out of this misery. I went to school every day, my teachers didn’t bother me and the kid’s that I hung out with didn’t bother me. They knew I was only there in body, and saw no point in trying to pull me out. Not that I wanted them to try anyways.

I spent most of my time avoiding people, especially those who wanted to help. After a month or so I started to notice that I kept seeing the same girl over and over. She never said a word to me or anything of the sort, and I most certainly did not want to engage myself into a new companionship. Every day I would pass her in the halls. First I wondered who she was and then I started to wonder why was I always looking forward to that moment in the day.

Without my realizing it I began to put myself back into civilization, something that I had put an effort in pulling away from. At lunch I ate with the normal crowd but was part of their conversations. Most of all laughing, something I’m sure people thought that I had forgotten how to do. One day passing in the hall the girl spoke to me for the first time “You have a nice smile.” She then smiled at me and walked away. I realized the reason why I looked forward to passing her in the hall everyday. This girl had taken her time to smile at me everyday, were most people would avoid me she just gave me a simple smile.

It was her friendly smile every day nothing more and nothing less that had pulled me out of the vortex that had gotten a hold of me and was trying to pull me under. There was no need for conversation because the smile said it all. The girl smiled at me and I then felt obligated to smile at her, and got to a point that I wanted to smile, it wasn’t forced. Just the simple smile changed my whole attitude. I believe smiles make the world a better place.