Drugs Change People

Adriana - San Diego, California
Themes: addiction, change
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Boom! Boom! Boom! The sound of violent pounding on the back door of my house at 4:00 am, I knew exactly who it was, my ex. Only seconds later I was running across the house to my roommates room, the farthest from mine. Mid-sprint I heard the breaking of my window; he was breaking into my house. The reason for his anger, who knows, it could be the fact that we broke up 2 weeks prior, all the pills he was on or his alcohol intake… probably a mixture of it all. With quick reaction my roommate Brielle calls the police, as I call my 6 other roommates to have them lock themselves in their rooms. Moments later the police had arrived and made their arrest, we were safe.

Where’s the Cory I know, who are you?

I met Cory through mutual friends 2 ½ years earlier. We were drawn together and quickly fell in love. He was a gentleman, had a huge heart and wouldn’t hurt a fly. It wasn’t until a year into our relationship when he became addicted to drugs, that’s when everything changed. He was popping pills left and right from xanex to ecstasy. I had hoped he would rise above and get through his addiction and he did, but only for a couple months at a time, then he would fall into his addiction again. It’s this neverending struggle because since he let drugs consume him, now the urge will always be a part of him.

Bring the Cory I fell in love with back…

I tried and tried and tried to hold on to the old Cory, and bring him back but he was making it clear drugs had a bigger hold on him then I ever could. I even called his mom to tell her he needs rehab, but nothing was done. I had to come to realize I lost Cory to his addiction. Cory used to kiss me and tell me how much he loved me before I would go to be, now he stands outside my window pounding in the middle of the night while high on drugs.

If you asked me if I know Cory I would say no because I don’t, I know the old Cory, the Cory I fell in love with, not the person Cory is now. Drugs change people and once they’ve changed don’t expect the old person to come back, they are gone forever. This I believe.