All men are created equal

ardyth - Portland, Oregon
Age Group: 65+
Themes: equality

I was 12 years old and my younger brother was 8 years old….It was a sunny day and we were playing in our yard,enjoying life and each other.We became silly and decided to pick up some dog poop and put it in a leaf and give it to our housekeeper,Ella…..We didn’t like her at all, and so we wanted to give her something that we considered dirty to make her feel badly….Basically,we both were good children,having been taught values of humanity from our parents,school teachers,sunday school teachers,relatives and friends,however on this particular day,we were being vey negative….Our mother caught us in this despicable act and quietly sat us down in our den and explained to us the positive value of believing in the equality of all…she told us that she believed that all men were created equal,some luckier….I remember this moment and experienced a positive feeling of ” yes,I believe in this idea of equality,too….from that time on..both my brother and I agreed with our mother and strongly believed,not only in this great idea of equality,but also the necessity of living by the golden rule…how good to experience the warmth of believing in the golden rule for everyone…I thank G-d for giving us the parents we had to guide us on our way