Finish the race when you feel like you’re finished.

Kallie - Sonora, Texas
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Finish the race when you feel like you’re finished. What does this mean to you? To me it means don’t give up because of stupid reasons you’re too tired or it’s too hard because there is somebody out there who wants to be doing what you’re not doing.

For the first thirteen years of my life I thought that I would always be that person who wanted to try something new but couldn’t. Well last year I decided that I wasn’t going to let that be me. So I started to run. People told me I was crazy but I absolutely loved it. I decided that I was going to run for our High School Cross Country team. So I tried out and made varsity my freshman year. At first it was hard but as the season went on….it got even harder. Crazy, right? I asked my coach why she made us run so much and all she could say is one day all the hard work will pay off. To all of our surprise, it did. That year was the first year in Sonora history for the girls cross country team to win district and I was part of that.

Everyone told us that we would go far, like win state maybe. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. We didn’t even get into medaling places at regionals. As for me, I didn’t even get into the top one hundred. At that meet something hit me hard and yes it affected my running. It was my asthma. Most people don’t see how I run with asthma and I don’t either but I’m not going to let that stop me from doing something I love. Of course I had problems at other meets but this was regional’s the meet that told you, you were good enough for state or not and last year I wasn’t.

After the first mile all I wanted to do was quit. Just walk right off the course and say forget it. Instead I finished. Not where I hoped I would but I did. After the race I was disappointed and upset because we weren’t going to state, but what I didn’t realize was that I had just got done running two miles with hardly any air in my lungs from all the dust. I had finished the race when most people wouldn’t have even had the guts to step up to the line.

That year had its disappointments and highlights but all the bad was not going to keep me from running this year. This year I’m running cross country again and I’m setting new goals for myself because I believe in finishing the race when you feel like you’re finished. I believe in not giving up no matter how bad your body hurts because you never know what you will get out of it.