Not blinded by a concussion

William - Miramar, Florida
Themes: love
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

Playing the sport that I love, lacrosse, I found the opportunity to hit a player so hard that he would cry. As he picked up the ball I charged toward him and rammed my helmet into his chest. The south plantation defenseman who was about 250 pounds fell crashing to the ground. I, on the other hand, blacked out. Once my vision came back to me, I saw the ball only feet away from me. As I stepped to pick up the ball I started to stumble. Instantly I knew that I had a concussion.

Off the field I was dazed and confused. I had a terrible head ache.

Once I got home, I laid on my bed; then suddenly my phone began to ring. I looked at the caller id and instantly my head ache flew away like bird flying south for winter. It was the one that I dreamed about at night, the person that I felt I needed in my life, and the reason why I wake up in the morning. As I answered the phone, I heard the soft voice that I lived for. She invited me to join her at the movie theatre the same night. Although I was in great pain from the concussion, I couldn’t let this chance pass me by.

Dazed, confused, and in pain from the collision during the game, I took a shower and got dressed to go to the long awaited opportunity. I had to bare the pain and hide it from my parents so they would allow me to go. Getting to the theatre was the worst part, the bumpiness of the road made my head ache even worst. The whole time there was only one thing on my mind.

When I reached there I saw the smile that made me smile, the beautiful eyes that I saw my future through, and the one whom I loved. Resembling a Harry Houdini magic trick, the pain of my concussion disappeared.

That event taught me that no matter what the obstacle might be, it can’t block a person from love. It was as if I never had a concussion; the happiness she brought into my life made feel like a new born baby. This I believe, love cannot be blinded by a concussion.