I believe I love my grandmother

Brittany - Columbus, New Jersey
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

I believe I love my grandmother.

I believe that my grandmother loves me and that I love her just as much. I believe that I can do whatever I want and I can be whoever I want if I tried because of her.

My grandmother is in her 50s and has been there with me since I was born. Every single Sunday that I go to church she’s the first person I go to, always expecting my “good morning hug and kiss.” She makes me feel like I’m the most perfect person I could be.

I’ve been on many trips with her including Bring your child to Work Day and a trip to the Franklin Institute. On bring your child to work day since there was so many kids we played games for fruit snacks and my grandmother even played along.

On the trip to the Franklin Institute we had so much fun going through the Chronicles of Narnia exhibit. As well as going through the heart, exploring what it would be like to do an open heart surgery, comparing brain sizes of humans.

On any ordinary day you don’t expect to go to the doctors to find out you have cancer. Yes, my grandmother knew she was having a lot of pain, But cancer? My mom, dad, aunts, uncles, and everyone else who knew kept this from us kids so we don’t get upset and think she’s going to die like every other cancer story we read. Than one day I was at my cousins when he told me my grandmother had cancer. I was shocked, not only did my mom, dad, FAMILY hide this from me but the fact I wasn’t doing anything about it. Luckily she survived. She fought over 6 months of cancer and still had a goal of getting rid of it. To me, that makes her a fighter and that’s another reason I believe I love my grandmother.

This is why me, an ordinary 14 year old loves her grandmother. She not only taught me to fight for what I believe in, and that I can be whoever I want to be with nothing stopping me. But she taught me to love. Love yourself. Love others. And most importantly love your grandmother.