Slipping Through the Edge

Ashley - Marquette, Michigan
  • Listen to This I Believe on RadioPublic

One belief I have is that anyone can do anything they want to as long as they have their mind set to it.

When I was younger I watched my family grow up working at local thrift stores or not working at all. Our nicest house we had was a trailer, located in south Marquette. For a while my mother and I lived in a harbor house, it was a house that homeless mothers and daughters go to when there were no other options, because my mom used her small paycheck on alcohol instead of paying rent. I watched my brothers graduate from high school and accomplish nothing, besides sitting around. I wanted to be different and to prove to everyone that I could do better. I had my mind set on succeeding.

I was in the car on my way to school with my foster mom, it was just like any other day except I got a sudden feeling that I wanted to go sign up for college. I went to school and talked to my principle to see when I could graduate, he told me within the month I would be done. I decided to go to Northern and sign up, but when I got there I thought “what have I got myself into?” Then I realized that as long as my mind is set to this, I knew I could do it!

As of today I plan on graduating from college and following that start a career. I’m currently a freshman, and I plan on attending Northern Michigan University until I graduate. I have my mind set on accomplishing these goals, and to do that I’ll have to study hard, live on my own, go to tutoring, and believe in myself.

When I was in High School, I realized that I needed to grow up and start making changes. A new group of friends came into my life, and I decided to stay away from bad habits. I made goals for myself and did what I believe in. Graduating from high school a year early and starting my education at Northern Michigan University offered me opportunities to lead a different lifestyle from my mom.

I’ve lived in many different towns, met many different people, been through multiple foster homes, and even admitted my own mother into rehab five times since I was eight. I feel these things are not things to look down on, they shaped me into the person I am today and I’m happy for that. I believe it does not matter what kind of house hold you came from or what others tell you that you can do or cannot do, it’s all about what you put your mind to and how you act on your beliefs.